“It was the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me.”
I appreciate the help from Cory and Dee on this report. The individual submitted the report and answered subsequent emails. however, the story falls apart by the end of the show above.
Below is the report as it was prepared. Keep in mind the below statements are from the individual in the video.
This encounter took place last night (11/06/2017). The unusual nature of this report stems from the unusual nature of the cryptid involved; a looming, bipedal creature with horns, red eyes and a pungent odor. Similar reports have given creatures that fit this description “Goatman” or “Sheepsquatch.” This is also an unusual case in that the witness fired upon the creature prior to running for the safety of their home.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines the word cryptid as “An animal whose existence or survival is disputed or unsubstantiated, such as the yeti.” For the following witnesses to living cryptids, there is no dispute. In this series of National Cryptid Society’s case files, you will read what the witnesses have experienced in their own words.
Keep an open mind when reading these accounts, and also remember one’s perception and memory of an event can be influenced by the emotions felt at the time of the occurrence. The contributors to this series of articles are doing the best they can to recount what are in some cases very shocking and traumatic experiences.
If you have a personal cryptid sighting story you would like to tell us, please visit our “Make A Report” page on this site.
NCS Case File #59: Shots fired at massive Goatman in Vonore, Tennessee
Submitted by Marcus on 11/06/2017
“Tonight I was going to feed my dog at about 6:30 PM in his lot which is about 50 to 60 yards from my house. As I approached the enclosure I could smell the smell of a billy goat. It is worth noting that at this time I did not have a flash light on my person because I did not expect anything out of the normal to happen, I could not have been more wrong.
I fed the dog and returned to the house and retrieved a flash light to investigate what the smell might be. I returned to the enclosure and the dog was inside his house cowering and would not come out. I scanned the fence line with the light and there it stood at least 7 feet tall.
I was so frightened at the sight of this thing. And the smell was horrible as if I had my face up against a billy goat hide. I was armed with a hand gun. I fired a couple of shots off and ran as fast as I could back into the house. I got some help to see if I had killed or wounded the creature but no body or trace of blood was found. Needless to say I will NOT be feeding the dog after dark ever again.”
- Upon recieving this report, I contacted the witness who was able to provide further details of the encounter.
“The creature was approximately 7 feet tall, it had the torso of a human male, the face was also humanoid but the nose was a bit larger. The ears were goat like and it had very big spiral horns on his head. And he also had a goat like beard. When the light from the flash light hit his eyes they glowed red as fire. And the smell was horrific and it lingered for a ling time after the encounter. It’s legs wee that of a goat. It was the most frightening thing that has ever happened to me.”
- About the dog’s behavior prior to the encounter:
“The breed of dog is a Pitbull and before the encounter I had noticed that he had been barking for several minutes from [inside his doghouse] and not out in the enclosure, as he usually does.”
- Also if the witness had contacted any authorities after the encounter:
“I did not call law enforcement as I did not think that an investigation by local officials would result in any positive outcome. Attached are a couple of pictures of the area where the encounter occurred.”
- The “Goatman” or Sheepsquatch” is the name used for a cryptid with the above physical description. This creature has been reported in West Virginia[i], but there are several petroglyphs depicting large, horned humanoids such as this one in Eastern Utah near the Colorado border.
- A BFRO report states that in 2010 witnesses had observed a large bipedal creature roaming an area very close to where the witness stated their encounter was located.[ii]
- The witness associated the smell in this encounter with that of a billy goat, and the Sheepsquatch (don’t blame me for repeating the name, I didn’t name it) is said to also be accompanied by a sulfurous odor[iii].
- Those of you with experience with farm animals and goats in particular will know that a billy goat is an uncastrated male that can be territorial and temperamental due to a high level of testosterone. As with other domesticated animals (and wild animals for that matter), uncastrated male goats tend to exude a pungent, musky and generally unpleasant (to humans) odor originated from the goat’s sebaceous glands at the base of its horns[iv]. Locations of the sebaceous glands in other species tends to be specific to that species.
- When describing the odor of a Sasquatch encounter, Dr. W.H. Fahrenbach stated the following: “I have personally smelled two individuals with intense goat and horse aroma at a few feet distance, respectively (both female).”[v]
- This sighting is different than many “Goatman” or “Sheepsquatch” reports for a few reasons: 1) The creature witnessed did not have white fur, although there was a recent episode of “Mountain Monsters” that featured a darker-colored “Sheepsquatch” that allegedly did something to one of the investigators.[vi] 2) The creature had a human-like face. 3) The creature had no tail.
- One possible way that this creature could have been a mis-identified Sasquatch is the presence of cutaneous horn growth. Cutaneous horns are tumor-like growths that can give the appearance of horns growing from the skin in humans. Although usually small, in rare instances they can grow quite large.[vii] If indeed Sasquatch is a genetic relative of humans, it stands to reason that they could be susceptible to similar genetic disorders or diseases, including those that could cause such a deformity.
- Vonore lies West of Nantahala National Forest, which is in turn part of the vast wilderness of the Great Smoky Mountains.
Bigfoot the Truth Told podcast will be interviewing the witness very soon. Once that link is available, we will include it in the report.
NOTICE: Fair Use Copyright Law
“Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.”
Any use of copyrighted material on http://www.nationalcryptidsociety.org is done for criticism, comment, news reporting or educational purposes. The National Cryptid Society including all web pages and social media platforms owned or registered by The National Cryptid Society does not endorse nor is any endorsement of the National Cryptid Society inferred by creators of copyrighted material presented herein for criticism, comment, news reporting or educational purposes under Fair Use allowance quoted above.