Author Denver Michaels and His Journey Investigating Cryptids and the Unexplained

19247747_1927346994155766_2829462970199031186_n
Courtesy of Denver Michaels

An author with a passion for cryptozoology, the paranormal, lost civilizations, and all things unexplained, Denver Michaels talks with the National Cryptid Society about his calling. The 43 year old Virginia native is the author of “People are Seeing Something: A Survey of Lake Monsters in the United States and Canada,” “Water Monsters South of the Border” and his latest book “Wild & Wonderful (and Paranormal) West Virginia.”

NCS: When did you first become interested in cryptozoology and unexplained phenomena?

Michaels: “It is hard to say when I first became interested in the unexplained. I can’t pinpoint it really. As a kid, I would check out books from the library on ESP, astral projection, and that sort of thing. I have also always been into “alternative history” and can remember as an 8-year-old explaining to my father that Columbus didn’t discover America. I didn’t get very far with him on that, but the point is I have always been open to different interpretations. Everything doesn’t fit as neatly into our own paradigm as we like to think.”

“I cannot remember a time when I didn’t believe in the possibility of extraterrestrial life. Along those same lines, it is hard to imagine that the thousands of lake monster and Bigfoot (and whatever other cryptids you chose) sightings are baseless and without merit. Maybe 95 percent can be explained—but what about the other 5 percent?”

NCS: Have you had any experiences or encounters that have made significant impact on your life?

Michaels: “I am sad to say that I have not had a cryptid sighting; I have never seen a UFO; the weirdest experiences I have had in haunted locations can be explained by convention means. However, I do not need to see to believe. I am sure that there is more to the world around us than what we know.”

capture-20170731-202603
Courtesy of Denver Michaels

NCS: What are you currently working on and what are your future plans?

Michaels: I love to write and will continue to do so for the foreseeable future. I am currently working on a book about giants.

Can you describe your field research or investigations?

Michaels:  “I do as much field work as I am able. I have a full-time job and write in my spare time. Lately, I have been focusing field work to whatever I am writing about. For instance, in my last book about strange phenomena in West Virginia, I visited a number of areas known for large black cat sightings and Sasquatch sightings. I also investigated a number of burial mounds and haunted locations throughout the state.”

NCS: Can you tell us a little about your latest book?

Michaels: My most recent book is called Wild & Wonderful (and Paranormal) West Virginia. The Mountain State experiences a disproportionate amount of strange phenomena and this book is sort of a “survey” of some of the weirdness. I also discuss some of the cryptid creatures roaming the hillsides of West Virginia.”

Denver Michaels bookFrom UFO reports to Mothman, black cats to Bigfoot, river monsters to haunted towns, this book has a little something for everyone including some obscure historical nuggets.

 

Michaels has recently appeared on an episode of the CryptoCorner discussing the 2017 flying humanoid sightings over Chicago.

 

Readers can follow Denver Michaels on Twitter, Facebook and on his website www.davidmichaels.net.

 

Believe NCS

NOTICE: Fair Use Copyright Law
“Copyright Disclaimer Under Section 107 of the Copyright Act 1976, allowance is made for “fair use” for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Fair use is a use permitted by copyright statute that might otherwise be infringing. Non-profit, educational or personal use tips the balance in favor of fair use.”
Any use of copyrighted material on http://www.nationalcryptidsociety.org is done for criticism, comment, news reporting or educational purposes.  The National Cryptid Society including all web pages and social media platforms owned or registered by The National Cryptid Society does not endorse nor is any endorsement of the National Cryptid Society inferred by creators of copyrighted material presented herein for criticism, comment, news reporting or educational purposes under Fair Use allowance quoted above.
Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s